MID-LAND REALTORS is striving to be your primary source for REAL ESTATE information in the Great Lakes Bay Region of Michigan. However, a lot of what will be posted here will apply throughout the United States.
We are also aware that what you need will be different depending on where you are in the process – buying, selling, renting, up-sizing, downsizing, landlord or property management. With that being said, we want to talk about Selling Your Home.
Now that you have decided to sell your house, you have to remember that it is now a house and not your home. It will become someone else home and what they want or like about the house might be different than you. That is ok, let it go.
So, what should you do first you ask? Well, it is generally NOT painting all the walls or replacing all the flooring. The time to do that was at least 5 years ago so you could enjoy it. The exception to this is if it is a structural or mechanical issue and that is a different blog.
What you should do now is:
- Declutter, declutter, declutter: Coco Chanel said when leaving the house in the morning count the accessories you have on and remove 2. This thought pattern applies to your house. Box up paperwork, minimize toys, empty closet. This is a great time to donate those seldom use things. Make shelves, closets and rooms look bigger
- Clean: If you have taken pictures off the walls, wash the wall. Mr. Eraser works great. Take the cobwebs down that hang in the basement. Halloween is only one night a year and it is in October. Sweep the porches, window ledges, and doorway thresholds. Pull the refrigerator and stove from the wall and clean it. You might find Jimmy’s hamster.
- Paint only what is needed: If you had a wall for photos and the paint different is huge, paint it. No amount of cleaning will match them match.
- Preventive Maintenance: Showing that the furnace, air conditioner or septic field has been cleaned and inspected is a good selling point. It cheaper for you to find an issue before an inspector does.
- Check the Curb Appeal: Clean out/up flower beds. Trim shrubs. Clean out the gutters. Maybe power washing would be good if the weather supports it. Cut the grass. The better it looks from the road, the better the inside will look.
For more information on selling tips visit the sites below:
We here at MID-LAND REALTORS would love the opportunity to help you sell your house and find you your next home. Let us show you some great homes.