MID-LAND REALTORS is striving to be your primary source for REAL ESTATE information in the Great Lakes Bay Region of Michigan. However, a lot of what will be posted here will apply throughout the United States.
We are also aware that what you need will be different depending on where you are in the process – buying, selling, renting, up-sizing, downsizing, landlord or property management. With that being said, we want to talk about getting your house ready to sale.
Everyone wants to have their house sale at or above full price and have that offer on the first day. However, there is no way to guarantee that will happen every time.
Here are some things you can do to help it along, that cost little to no money.
- Declutter, declutter, declutter: You want to make the house looks as big as possible.
- De-personalize: Now, I am not saying to take everything down. You are still going to live there. So, let’s still make it home.
- Clean: Wipe the door jams, the light switches, the windowsills and such. This is the first thing people will see.
- Lightbulbs: Replace burnt out ones, make sure all the light bulbs in a fixture are the same type (incandescent, led or cfl) and color style (cool blue vs warm yellow).
There are some things that cost a little bit to do and a lot if you deferred it too long.
- Front Door: Clean it and paint it needed. If in very bad condition, replace.
- Screens: Clean and repair.
- Flower Beds: Depending on the time of the year, remove weeds, deadheads and fertilize. Fall time clean out and make ready of spring. Try to remember to take pictures of it at its best.
- Side walks and driveway: remove the weeds growing in the cracks. If it is asphalt then fill and seal or resurface, if in bad condition.
- Windows: Scrap, chalk and seal.
- Bathtubs and showers: Clean the grout. In front of the tub, the walls, and corners. If any is missing, replace.
There are many sites for more to do. However, the most important thing to remember is to do it right. This is especially true with paint; you don’t want to mix oil based and latex paint or paint over a patch that has not been prepared correctly.
We here at MID-LAND REALTORS would love the opportunity to help you sell your house and find you your next home. Let us show you some great homes.